Horrorstor

Horrorstor by Grady Hendrix was a purely fun read. It lured me in by looking like an Ikea catalogue and it did not shy away from the fact that the store that was featured in the story was basically like Ikea. I loved the setting of a store for a ghost story.

And having worked numerous retail jobs in my life it touches on the horrors of BEING a retail worker as well. It touched on the way people tend to feel that management treats them and the longing for being able to sit down in a salaried job very well.  Both my husband and I have tried to support ourselves with various retail gigs and there is this overwhelming sense of real life terror to not making a livable wage and not really getting to rest from your feet.  But very few stories actually take place in this kind of setting and explore these kinds of dynamics.

For those who never have worked in a retail setting may still be able to tap in the terror of being  in a maze like setting while wandering around these stores. Seriously, why did not anyone think of this as a haunted house type setting sooner?

The minute I saw this book I HAD to download a copy of it through overdrive, my local library's e-reader service. It was a perfect lazy Sunday afternoon read on a day that was beginning to feel like fall.

Comments

Popular Posts