Chesapeake Shores

"Do you watch Hallmark or Lifetime?" Someone once asked me and I replied with a firm "No."  She seemed confused and asked "Why not?" and I was not shy in my reply, "I think that media can be a powerful way to explore women's issues but I think that on those networks the characters are two dimensional and the dialogue is cliche." And I've been consistently adamant in that stance.

However when I found out that Sherryl Woods series got turned into a TV show I HAD to watch it. I read the first three books in that series years ago and fell completely in love with them but life's paced caused me to find new books to read and forgetting a series that I had started years ago.

The reason why I stopped following what the author wrote is that I fell into believing the stigmas of romance novels and feel good fiction during a dark period of my life where I was lonely and had not identified projects to keep my curiosity alive in the mist of boring entry level jobs. I needed more serious fiction and well researched non fiction books. But now that I am wanting to identify as a romance writer I have been going back to remember some of the books I remember loving in my voyage into being able to read grown up romance novels. I remember loving Chesapeake Bay.

The discovery that this was a TV show made me realize my assertion of Hallmark TV shows is absolutely correct as I watched the whole first episode I realized I had to watch the whole first series. I found myself CARING about the characters and enjoying having a show with feel good elements which is generally not my TV watching preference. The last two shows I binged watched and loved were Stranger Things season 2 and the first season of Handmaids Tale.

And I tend to be in the camp of enjoying it when a book gets made into a TV show or a movie. It makes want to read or reread the book that its inspired by. Thanks to harlequin rewards I started to collect the books that picked up where I left off in the series and I am excited to start reading them again!  Its not a matter of if I like the books or the TV show best if I am enjoying the process of immersing myself in these stories!

Comments

Popular Posts