Tempting Kate

I read Tempting Kate which is a Harlequin Blaze book that was released in May of 2017. While I am powering through to the end of my final draft of my novel there is something about reading a book in the genre that I am writing in.

And this particular book was a fun, hilarious read. As far as romantic fiction goes it is my favorite type: short--it is only 216 pages which at the pace I read can be completed within about an hour or 2. And it is sexy--the kind of book where the sex is written with the door wide open--which I will not shy away from saying that the majority of the time that this makes a novel more interesting (unless it does not fit into the plot line but that was not an issue for this book for me). Last but definitely not least I found it HILARIOUS to read--there were many points in time that I found that I was laughing hysterically. The premise is that a wedding planner is planning a wedding at a resort--and it turns out that the man who owns the resort had slept with the bride at one point in time but the wedding planner and the resort owner find that they had sizzling chemistry. I found the premise entertaining and enjoyed the book so much that I used some of my Harlequin Rewards to obtain a copy of Jennifer Snow's Her Holiday Fling which is supposed to be next in the series.

I am loving connecting with other writers during NANO (National Novel Writing Month) talking about writing goals, the things we balance with our writing (which often works its way into our writing) and the dreams we have for writing. But the act of reading a book in the genre that I am writing in is another way of connecting with another writer. I am a huge believer in reading in multiple genres...but there is something inspiring about reading someone who is already published in the genre that I want to be published in. And I found myself noting some details that I want to be better about incorporating into my own writing. There is no greater teacher of writing than a great book!

Comments

Popular Posts