Christmas Themed Romance Novels

Tis the season for romantic comedy!! There is no other time of year that I read more romance novels than the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I really do enjoy reading romance novels.  But there is something about the holiday season being in the air that makes me crave romance novels even more. Maybe its because the season just makes me want to sit down with a hot cup of tea and read a book with a happy ending. Maybe its because as I've started to follow more romance writers more intentionally it is a trope that brings good business at this time of year. Maybe it is because when Christmas day is coupled with some other beloved romance tropes like second chances, ready made families, puppies, babies and proposals it somehow makes the trope seem even more special. Regardless as to why Christmas themed romances are a personal favorite of mine.

First of all there are Christmas themed romance novellas. I love reading novellas! I can't stress enough that one of the reasons why I love them is because I can read them in under an hour and they are always under three dollars on my kindle. But there are also some other cool things about novellas.

 I discovered Susan Mallery's Happily Inc Series with the Christmas themed novella A Very Merry Princess. Now I have a series that I want to return to!Brenda Novak has become a romance writer that I have been following. Dundee Christmas was a gem because it helped tide me over for when  her Just Like the Ones We Used to Know to comes out later this month. And I thought that it handled the issue of immigration better than our current presidential administration does.

Then there are the up to date series romance books with a Christmas theme. I usually like to read more up to date books when I read series romance. I had A Christmastime Courtship delivered to my kindle the day it was released.  However I had not read Christmas at Crimson Mountain yet which came out in 2016. It won the 2017 RITA Award for best short contemporary romance for 2017. (See "2017 Rita Awards") I bought it when I heard it was an award winner but only just completed reading it.

Then there are the Christmas themed novels that sit on my own bookshelf.  Being resolved to Christmas themed romances  is also a great excuse to go through my collection of books and find other Christmas themed romances I may not have read yet. (See "My OWN Reading Challenge) Due to my rediscovering Chesapeake Shores through the Hallmark Channel (See "Chesapeake Shores") I realized that I should revisit the series of books and it just so happens that if I begin where I left off in the series I would read A Chesapeake Shores Christmas. I only just started Christmas on Candy Cane Lane. I did intentionally slow down my pace with Sheila Roberts Icicle Falls series so that I could read the Christmas themed books between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I enjoyed recently finishing Lodge on Holly Road in the same series.

Maybe my love for romance novels at this time of year may have gotten the way of being able to appreciate more serious literature at this time of year. (See "Sport of Kings") Maybe its because I usually do not watch the more sappy TV shows. (Hallmark's Chesapeake Shores is really more of the exception than the norm).  My Christmas reading is not done yet. I am enjoying finding books that fit the mood of the Christmas season that are of good cheer!

Comments

Popular Posts