She Persisted

In a world where women are breaking more and more barriers to their careers it is so refreshing to simply read a book that is inspiring young readers to dream big. She Persisted is a picture book that tells the story of 13 women who would not take no for an answer to achieve their dreams of a career.

I was a fan of Hillary Clinton from day one in this last presidential election. I remember feeling stunned, shocked and angry when I got the news that Donald Trump was elected. I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry instead of going into work that day. The sensation was like finding out someone near and dear to me had just died. But I was committed to being fair to our democracy and did not want to protest anything until Donald Trump did anything out of line. Of course I've had a lot of ample opportunities to protest fairly since then. However I loved how the phrase "Nevertheless, she persisted" became a popular phrase since the election.

I love that her daughter Chelsea Clinton wrote this book. Even though I have strong feelings about the last election I do think that it was a classy move on her part that she did not include her mother running as president in this book. Instead she looked to history to outline 13 other strong women like Helen Keller, Harriet Tubman and Sally Ride. She even included the current phenomenon of Oprah Winfrey.

There are quick summaries of  each of the women's lives. The formula that is followed for these stories are having a few sentences on what the woman's obstacles was, then in bold it says SHE PERSISTED, then it concludes with what the woman was able to accomplish.  On the page next to it there was a quote by that woman. Some of my personal favorite quotes were Oprah Winfrey's "The biggest adventure that you can take is to live the life of your dreams"and Florence Griffith Joyner's "When anyone tells me I can't do anything...I'm just not listening anymore."

Do not let the fact that it is a picture book for children hold you back from reading it if you are an adult.  I was able to read the book in under 10 minutes. I do like picture books that are intended for children but I do not think that it is fair for me to include it in my ultimate Goodreads count because I am a well educated fast reader.  But I actually think that it is a powerful book that can be inspiring for an adult reader. It inspired me to learn more about some of the remarkable women mentioned in the book. I hope this same seed is planted in younger readers who might just be hearing about women who challenged the system to make sure that they were included throughout history.


Comments

  1. Yes! It reminds me of a children's book series called Value Books. It was a series of 40 or so volumes of biographies of famous men and women, highlighting a significant value in each life. I value your persistence and strength of writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts