Adding Up to Family

I just gave Adding Up to Family 1/5 stars on Goodreads and posted this review:

I found this book to be problematic. I felt like the moments where Steve, Becky's BOSS was expressing interest in her romantically just seemed manipulative to me. Just because she was the one kissing him first doesn't make it okay to me. I kept reading to the end to give him a chance to redeem himself but he didnt. For this kind of romance to work for me I need dialogue about consent and for there to be serious conversation about changing the boss/employee relationship so that isn't a factor. In reading these types of romances in our post me-too culture and if it is going to work it needs to have these type of components in order for me to not be disgusted by it. I've been reading Harlequins for quite some time and I know that this is a much loved trope. But I feel like it is a trope that needs to be seriously reevaluated in order to work in our modern world and the characters just didn't meet my expectations. If I didn't already love certain Harlequin lines so much I might not read any more of them. But since they are my literary comfort food I will just be discerning on which tropes that I will read.

Comments

Popular Posts