Little Girl Get Up

To self publish or not to self publish that was the question. But as I tried to find a place for my story Little Girl Get Up I found that there was not a market for a story that has an agnostic take on a biblical story.  I have always been intrigued by what happened to people after they had been healed by Jesus and this story tackled that question as it explored the story in the New Testament about Jesus healing Jairus's daughter.


The question of how people's lives resumed after being healed by Jesus had always haunted me. I wrote Little Girl Get Up while I was struggling with my own role in the Lutheran church (I am the daughter of 2 ministers and I started my own career in the church) while knowing that I wanted to write fiction and navigate the secular world.  When I made the choice to no longer associate myself with  the church it gave me more liberties to my approach to the story, however it made the possibilities on where it could be published quite limited.  Leaving church behind does not mean that I do not love the stories anymore, it just means that I embrace the challenging questions about them more.

I still want to share this story. I know that there is a stigma to self publishing in trying to be taken seriously as a writer by some however I couldn't stand the idea of not sharing this story with the world when I could not find a place that would be appropriate to publish it. I know that one of the challenges of taking a less traditional route is in needing to do my own editing and promoting. It makes me aware of my own limitations as a writer,  however stories are meant to be shared and I am eager to share this story with you!

Comments

Popular Posts