Stoker's Wilde

I enjoy fresh spins on older stories which is why this book appealed to me. Stoker's Wilde lifts a lot of themes and plot points that fans of Dracula will find familiar. In fact it even draws upon the epistolary tradition by telling the story through journal entries and letters. 

Usually I like to research the background of books that use historical tidbits. However I did not get around to researching the where the stories of Oscar Wilde and Stoker portrayed in the book may have any historical accuracy.  But as this book  relies heavily upon supernatural horror it was clear that a lot of liberties would be taken anyway. So I put aside my more scholarly tendencies to just enjoy it as a story. And as a story I found it wildly entertaining. It had so many components that  kept me entertained such as a vampire seducing Oscar Wilde and Stoker pining after Wilde's wife. I found this book a pure joy to read. I would highly recommend it!

Thank you Netgalley and Flame Tree Press for my advanced readers copy of this book!
I am also publishing this review on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular Posts