Midnight's Children

Finally sitting down to read Midnight's Children appealed to me on a deeply personal level. Recently when I was going through my books I found it in a back corner of my bookshelf. I had started reading it when I was planning  my wedding and had briefly abandoned it with the intent to go back to it. (I have been married for 3 years now)

That was a really hectic point in life with everything that I was juggling. I prided myself in not taking any time off from working full time to do wedding planning tasks.  That was also the point in time that I was working on my first novel. A natural thing that happens when there is a lot going on in life is that a really well written book can get set aside with the intentions of returning only to it only to get sidetracked by other things that demand more attention.

I also follow a lot of bookish things. There is the book obtained because I attended an event where I met the author, the book that a friend highly recommended, the book I found while browsing a bookshop, a book that is receiving a lot of buzz on social media. All of these books compete for a place in my TBR pile and suddenly the book that I wanted to read for personal reasons gets set aside in favor of the books that scream with more urgency. I have always been fascinated by magical realism and Midnight's Children was on my list of books I wanted to devour.

Certain styles of writing are harder to read when life is really crazy. Some books beg for life to be more settled to be able to sit down in quiet  and enjoy the prose while some more plot driven books can be read quickly while other things are going on. Midnight's Children is one of those books I wanted to read slowly while savoring the writing style.

I AM THE BOOK YOU NEED TO READ RIGHT NOW is what this book sang out to me the minute I found it again. EMBRACE ME. Like feeling I am supposed to be in a certain place at a certain time or feeling really drawn to one certain person there are often more questions than answers about the book that seems to beg me to read it. Why this book in this large stack of books? Why this book right now? I decided to abandon the questions and live in the mystery. I pick up the book and stream what seems like random classical music to accompany my reading.  Va Pensiero  from the opera Nabucco is the first piece that starts playing, which was the music I marched down the aisle to at my wedding.  I feel goosebumps all over my body thinking fondly about my wedding before my imagination transports me to the moment that India became independent from the British rule.  This was one of those novels that I would not know how to write a more formal review for because I just found myself gaping in awe at so many images and phrases.  But I still willingly set the book aside when my husband asked me a question. It is one of my favorite non horror books that I have read this year but now I am ready to hit my stack of horror novels again.  I will just embrace the mystery.

Comments

Popular Posts