The Testaments

When a coworker showed up with a copy of Margaret Atwood's new book The Testaments I knew she was a kindred spirit. When she offered to lend it to me I couldn't resist. I found the plot irresistible and fast paced--I read the entire book within 2 days. I hadn't read Handmaid's Tale since I was in college 20 years ago but the premise was fresh in my mind having watched the Hulu show recently.

I read mixed reviews of this book however I like that it picked up with the mystery of baby Nicole.  As part of the style of the book relied on what would be considered historical documents I knew that this would be a risky move but I felt the distance of time added depth to the story.

And it continues to serve as a reminder of what happens when women are stripped of their rights. In a political climate where a womans right to choose what she does with her body is still up for debate stories like these are important to tell.

Comments

Popular Posts