Death by Darjeeling

Timing can make a world of difference in how I perceive a novel. By definition cozy mysteries do not contain sex, violence or profanity...which isn't my style as someone who gobbles up horror novels. However when I am at home sick for a few days when I started to have enough energy to read again I needed something more gentle than I usually gravitated towards. I heard a lot of people in my Plum Deluxe Lovers Facebook  group rave over Laura Child's Teashop Mysteries and thought that the first book in the series, Death by Darjeeling would be the best opportunity for me to give a cozy mystery a fair shot. I am obsessed over tea so the fact that tea central to the setting of the book made this a really good book for me to give a fair attempt to a cozy mystery.

What really kept me reading in this book were the delightful descriptions of the tea shop and the town of Charleston. I stood reminded while I read this book I do not think that it is necessary to see gruesome details of a murder in a story for it to be good. Honestly some of the stories that have terrified me the most play more on psychological terror than on gory details. However even without that I found the plot to be rather simplistic. I do enjoy reading a good mystery from time to time and I feel like a good mystery plays with your brain more than this story actually did.

Yet while I found myself wanting to complain about what this book seemed to lack for me I was enticed enough to start Gunpowder Green, the second book in the series right away. While I do find myself having criticisms of the writing style as a tea lover I felt like I still somehow found a sense of kinship with the author in spite of myself.  But when I reflect over the nature of cozy mysteries they might not be my cup of tea.

Comments

Popular Posts