The Deep

I know that I've lamented that the world has been cancelled previously...however this has also been a wonderful time for me to be catching up on some books that I have highly anticipated this year. The Deep is one of those books for me. I had the huge privilege of hearing Alma Katsu as a panel speaker at Stoker Con where she discussed the importance of doing historical research for her books.

This really is reflected in this new release which is about the sinking of the Titanic and the Britannic with the added element of eeerie supernatural occurrences.  I loved that the book felt like a strong historical fiction novel. I know that is one of the reasons that some other horror fans were disappointed in this book. However I personally loved that the attention to historical detail made it into a gothic tale.

Alma Katsu is one of those writers who excels at both having gorgeous sentences and a very intriguing plot. As much as I love reading plot driven pulp novels, sometimes I go away craving poetry when I am done. However with Katsu my love of well constructed language was completely satisfied.  I found that this was a simply beautiful book to read.  Unlike many books that are considered horror it does not have gory details but it still has a very spooky ambience. It is a good book for people who want to read something spooky but may be squeamish or for horror fans who are looking to balance out their reading diet a little more.

It was not just beautiful to read inside of the book. The cover is sooo satisfying too! Also as someone who loves good cover art I also love the way the different shades of blue are cast on the cover into an eerie glow. 

I really loved this book and would highly recommend it!




Comments

Popular Posts