Ghost in the Headlights

 

Do not be fooled that Ghost in the Headlights is marketed as a children’s book---I am still spooked out by it!  The premise is that Brianna’s mom needs to be able to do some training for work for a few months and sends Brianna to live with her uncle during that time.

When Brianna is walking home from school, she keeps on seeing the ghost of a girl on the highway. Lindsey Duga does a wonderful job with the characters in this story and the reader is really let into Brianna’s world of fear.  What is even more terrifying is that there is a girl at school who tells on her every time she talks about the ghost….because the children in the town are forbidden to talk about this alleged ghost. Admittingly, telling children that things like ghosts are a figment of their imagination by their caregivers is done well in horror stories for children, this adds a very terrifying component of not being able to trust the people who are supposed to take care of them, which Duga does tncredibly well.

 The mystery of who this ghost may be makes Brianna curious which leads to some shocking discoveries. I won’t spoil anything about this because this book is a delight to read. I kept on wishing that I had a younger person in my life to read this spooky story to. Admittingly, I did read it way too close to my bedtime for how spooky it was….and I am an adult who has an addiction to horror novels!  Ghost in the Headlights would be a perfect campfire story, or a story to add some chills and thrills to a road trip!

I am also posting this review on Goodreads.


Comments

Popular Posts