Reading Credentials

For as long as I can remember I have always insisted on having a book in my hand. Reading is how I deliberate and enjoy the world. I am excited to start sharing my thoughts about books online. I was not an English major in college but as an aspiring writer I am taking classes at the Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota when I get the chance and I read books on the craft and discipline of writing. I did however get a Masters of Divinity in preparation to become a minister in the ELCA Lutheran Church which is just as employable as having a masters degree in literature when it comes to looking for work if you don't get a job in the church. I do not work in publishing though I have self published a collection of poetry, Tears Fall into Waterfalls, as an amazon kindle book. I am not a teacher though I have served as a reading tutor for elementary school children in an AmeriCorps program called Reading Corps for 2 years. I do not work in a library or a bookstore however I frequent used bookstores and regularly use the  overdrive app  to get digital books from my public library. What I am is a life long lover of books and reading.

I use several styles of reading--for pleasure, for personal growth and out of curiosity for the world. I love a lot of different kinds of books. I intentionally collect Stephen King Novels and Pulitzer Prize winning novels. I love reading old classics and I think that the the latest literature is going in some very exciting places. I'm writing a romance novel and my husband knows to find me in the science fiction/fantasy section of Half Priced Books if we lose track of each other. When I hear about books on the TV show Adam Ruins Everything, a Freakonomics podcast or at a history museum exhibit I find myself eagerly loading a sample on the kindle app on my phone. If I hear that a movie is based on a book I like to read the book and watch the movie. E-books, paperbacks or hardcovers? I love them all and the majority of the time I make my choice on what is cheapest.  For me reading is just as essential as breathing, drinking water and going out for sushi.

What it takes to be a critical reader is to be a regular reader who asks questions. There is no degree needed to read thoughtfully. There is no profession required to engage in this work.  There is no genre of books or type of author that is superior to the rest.  I've been keeping a reading journal for awhile now and I am ready to share my reflections on this journey. Welcome to my new blog!

Comments

Popular Posts