Are You There God, It's Me Margaret

I always wondered if Judy Blume's Are You There God, It's Me Margaret would hold the test of time for me as an adult. It was not until yesterday when I was working on my Masterclass writing class taught by Judy Blume when I heard her talking about how writing a letter to her younger self was what prompted this book that I felt compelled to pick it up again.  Since the book is at a 4th grade reading level and only 150 pages long I was able to read it in less than an hour.

I just turned 38 last week. Issues pertaining to having never been in a stable enough work position where I can consider doing things like getting a dog, having a kid or saving for retirement have been pressing on my mind. At this point in life it would be easy to romanticize my youth when I did not have to deal with the kinds of looming questions of trying to be a respectable adult who is nearing middle age. But Judy Blume's book vividly puts me into the life of a 6th grade girl.

 Margaret's character brought me back to the concerns I had when I was back in 6th grade over 25 years ago quite vividly. It reminded me of the eagerness I felt to become an adult and the social pressures that came with beginning to become a teenager.  Margaret is eager to get her first period and is the only one of her friends who had not gotten it yet. Margaret is also beginning to become curious about religion while being raised by parents who do not practice religion.

When I first read this book as a young girl I was unaware of the fact that Margaret's desire to talk to God in her journal was a way that she was trying to think for herself. Her desire to learn about religion is her way of trying to forge her own way into the world. Growing up in a deeply religious household and starting my life long habit of keeping a journal back when I was in 5th grade I read this differently at that point in time. I remember latching onto the idea of starting journal entries with "dear God" and having God as the main confidant in the story was something I could relate to. But as an educated adult I appreciate the nuances of what God and religion symbolize in this journey.

I also remember loving the honest, girlfriend style of writing. I was a HUGE fan of Babysitters Club books because the friendships in the Babysitters Club were discussing the issues that were on my mind too like school, boys, make-up, extra curricular activities, etc.  Ann M Martin did not just write a series of books,  created a brand that many girls of the 80s remember. However Judy Blume's book was just a little different. She really discussed in detail what was going on with a young girl's body and the things that she deals with on her way into womanhood like buying a first bra and experiencing a first kiss. What is so awesome is the emotional honesty about these things which is a different perspective than the more technical things that are addressed in sex ed classes and a more personalized approach than the entertainment of reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_magazine.

Does this book stand the test of time? I would say so! While one of the major plot points had to do with an unexpected visitor that in the age of the internet would have more planning the book still highlights concerns that girls becoming women have faced in American culture. It vividly took me back to my youth. It is the kind of book that can get young girls to open up honestly about the changes that their bodies are going through. If I had a daughter of that age I would definitely have her read this book!

Comments

Popular Posts