Pie Life

I received a copy of Pie Life in my Fab Fit Fun box recently (which is my favorite non book subscription box). It came accompanied a long with a Pie Life Planner. I wanted to read this book as part of a way for me to think critically about the ways that I balanced different aspects of my life.

I chose to be unemployed when I just needed to get away from my last work situation. I never intended to put in a two weeks notice without having another job lined up but I just needed a clean break. In addition to spending more time on my job search I have been enjoying being more organized at home, using NANO to edit my novel (see National Novel Writing Month) and starting my days out with exercise. While quitting without having a job in place has not come without financial concern I have been using this time to get some better habits into place. But as I want and need to have a job I thought that this book could be helpful in considering a healthier balance in my next job than I did in my last one as I felt that healthy habits started to get ignored.

Since it arrived with both the planner and the book I felt like most of the substantial information that I will utilize regularly was outlined in the planner. The book had nuggets of advice that could help manage time better such as planning outfits for the week in advance and looking for places for appointments between the vicinity of work and home that I will definitely consider.

However the book was geared entirely towards women who are parents. While the stories are engaging and easy to read it did not speak to my current reality. It did help me start to envision how I might be able to manage having a family I felt it neglected more tips for women who may not have kids but still struggle to be have a healthier balance to life. My other major criticism of the book is that it did not really talk about tips on how to manage having jobs that may not provide an opportunity to work at home or negotiate the hours that you would be in the office.

 But at this point in time I did appreciate that it did recommend knowing parental leave policies, choosing a workplace that I can be home for dinner and an ability to see women who are 10-20 years older than me in the company which are solid pieces of advice for me as the ideal situation would be that my next job would be a job I could still be in when my husband and I feel ready to start a family.

The outlining of breaking goals into achievable steps is not anything new. But what I loved is how the planner helped me outline  my goals in this New Year and is a place where I can organize my personal schedule and to-do lists. But if I would have known that the most substantial information was already in the planner I would have skipped the book!

Comments

Popular Posts