On Losing A Book a Friend Wrote

It is entirely possible that a book of poetry that someone who was once a dear friend wrote and inscribed for me was placed into a pile of books that I sold.  I would like to keep who this friend is and the memories of this friendship private. However I am willing to share that part of why it is so devastating to lose an inscribed book of poetry that read, "to my dear friend" is that in the age of Facebook I often stay in touch with people who aren't in the same zip code as me by simply being friends with them on Facebook. While it is a great way to see pictures of trips, babies, dogs and whatever else friends may be up to it is not the same as sharing a meal, going to church and experiencing events together. Taking the time to sit down and read poems that this person wrote is a deeper way that I am able to stay in touch.

My husband suggested that I write a poem about this experience.

Here it is:

Loss by Betsy Nicchetta

The note you wrote
just for me
can not be replaced
with a click on amazon

Your autograph is lost
with the words "dear friend"

I caressed the book
to my chest,

reading your words carefully
is how you stay close to me

I know you best
through poetry

Comments

  1. Nice poem, Betsy. Your concluding four lines sound in my ears like three lines of rhyming tetrameters. Sorry for you lost.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts