I'm Participating in National Novel Writing Month 2018!



Last year I know that I articulated some of the struggle points that I have with some of the frameworks behind National Novel Writing Month.  I still stand by my criticisms. However I would like to say that I am a huge fan of the Write Minded Podcast that is co-hosted by Grant Faulkner who is the founder of NANO.  Also when I think of my own writing goals critically I would like to be better at churning out a book length project in a shorter amount of time.  When I have looked at classes about writing a novel in a month at The Loft Literary Center I have not found one that is reasonable for my schedule or for my budget.  Torn between the part of myself that likes to do things the cheapest way possible and yet knowing that finding ways to find community that keeps you accountable for meeting goals this year I think that NANO would actually be a really good thing for me to do.

But there are a few other things that I have decided that will help make me successful:

1       Making writing dates for myself.  As I write this I am on the job hunt. I find that one of the things has helped me immensely with my writing goals is making writing dates for myself and making that a priority.  It has kind have become a habit of grabbing my computer and camping out in the business lounge in my apartment if I have an extra hour to myself.
2 
      Finding a project that I would legitimately be excited about pursuing for a full month. My challenge is that I am the type of writer who has gets multiple ideas for stories and writing projects in my head.  I need to choose ONE idea that I will see through to the end with no questions asked. Maisey Yates is one of my favorite Harlequin romance writers. I participated in an online video conference session with her through the Harlequin Readers Connection Community earlier this year. She said that it is important to see a manuscript to the very end and I feel like that was one of the best pieces of advice I received on the writing life this year.
3     
      Tackling other major projects in my life BEFORE November starts. I realized that if I wanted to do NANO that I needed to do my winter organization for my closet and doing some work in advance on the Glamorous Book Gal Blog and Twin Cities Geek to name a few items. There are things in life that will ALWAYS come up that need to be attentive to and I will need to continue my ongoing day job search. However having major items taken care of in advance will eliminate some stress and allow me to focus on completing NANO.

4      Acknowledging things I am already able to do: I do not have a problem writing in a journal for an hour in the morning. I know that I like having pages for free writing and collecting thoughts. How can I target this energy into a book length project? How can I use this energy for fiction?  Also every day I jump on the treadmill without “prepping” to do that knowing that I needed to get in better shape and now my body CRAVES physical activity when I do not do it. How can I target the wisdom I impart from my need to exercise into my need to write??

       If needed, allowing myself two months instead of one to complete the first draft.  I am also passionate about fitness. I am at a point where skipping exercise can really drive me crazy.  With the holiday season comes a lot of activity around the Twin Cities that I like to participate in with my husband and having family members come in from out of town. My work situation is up in the air as I write this. Being committed to my writing is important to me. This should not negate my commitment to my health or my family.  If honoring the multiple things that go on in my life means that I might take an additional month to meet the 50,000 word goal for NANO. I know that this is technically bending the rules for NANO. I could evaluate if its realistic to win NANO in the defined amount of time or if I need an extra month to meet the goal.  I love the idea of a crunch time but if for some reason I do not make it through NANO in the defined amount of time does not mean that I am not a writer.  It means that I am also a wife, daughter, sister and a woman dedicated to her health.
6     
      Surrounding myself with great resources. The beauty of NANO is the community that I would be a part of and the resources that I would be able to take advantage of.  I know that I already mentioned the Write-Minded podcast that I love.  There are also books that have been distributed by NANO  that I have previously read that would be great to revisit: No Plot, No Problem and Pep Talks for Writers. I also have a copy of Ready Set Novel sitting on my bookshelf that would be a useful tool.
7
        JUST WRITE.  What’s awesome about NANO is that this is the entire point. At the end of the day it really doesn’t matter how and when I approach my writing—what matters is that I am DOING IT.

So if you are like me and about to join me on this same quest, get off the internet and start writing your book. Happy November!

Comments

Popular Posts