Glamorous Book Gal's Trip To NYC

I just returned from a wonderful vacation in NYC! I recently turned 40 and in lieu of a large party I opted for a trip with my husband to NYC. I did a lot of wonderful things: looking at the view of NYC at night from the top of the Rockefeller Center, going to see Damnation de Faust at the Metropolitan Opera, going to the planetarium at the Natural History Museum, dog watching in Central Park and heading to the Morgan library.

Morgan Library was a book lover's paradise! It was once a private library owned by Pierpoint Morgan in the 1890s and is now a museum that houses the old books and the beautiful artwork. I was so enthralled with everything I saw that I forgot to take pictures. However I did purchase some postcards in the gift shop that captures the beauty of the place.


The only thing that was reminiscent to me of my time at the Biltmore Estate in April 2018 where while I found the whole place enjoyable to experience my  highlight was the library. (These next few pictures are of the Biltmore!)


At both of these places it was a powerful experience for me looking at the books that people owned before me. Not only are the old hardcovers beautiful to look at, there is something about seeing the books that I've read that people in a different time period have read as well that makes me feel connected to the people who came before me. 

And while I was visiting the Morgan library in NYC there were some historically amazing displays. The displays held a scrapbook of Charles Dickens, a letter by Jane Austen, stage directions by Giuseppe Verdi and an autograph by Leopold Mozart and notes by Gilbert and Sullivan. Seeing these old yet familiar names come to life for me with the historical figures handwriting was a thrilling experience. It made me feel a step closer to these writers and composers being able to witness their original work. This was an incredibly powerful experience for me as someone who loves literature and classical music. 

Of course the gift shop had an extraordinary amount of items that screamed my name--a book tea infuser, a tea blend modeled after what Morgan drank, a mug with a picture of the Morgan library and a book called A Book Lover's Guide to New York. As perfectly chosen souvenirs are remnants of places that make me happy, carefree and playful I could not resist grabbing onto these items. (This picture also includes a travel mug from the Top of the Rock Observatory)



My only lamentation was discovering A Book Lover's Guide to New York after I had planned much of my trip. However I had not been without my bookish tendencies...after exploring the Astronomy section of the Natural History Museum I did feel compelled to grab Black Holes and Time Warps: Einstein's Outrageous Legacy because I thought that it sounded fascinating.

However I found the book a fun arm chair exploration of the city's literary scene...and without it I would not have been compelled to wander into Mast Books which had a very artsy atmosphere that I enjoyed.  Since I take supporting local bookstores quite seriously I could not walk away empty handed.

While I needed a getaway from everything apparently I can never really want to stray far from books. But it is refreshing looking at the gems I can find in another city. It breaks my otherwise routine habits more and when I am away from the pressures of home I can actually lose myself even more into an experience without having my to-do list nagging in the back of my head. It was truly a wonderful vacation!

I remember from my honeymoon in Italy that literature can be a great way to feel close to a place after I've left.  Finding a collection of short stories set in NYC is exactly what the doctor ordered for me as I readjust to life after my wonderful trip.


Comments

  1. Delightful review of your trip and, as usual, really good writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts