Bad Moms

Reading a movie tie-in is not something that I would normally go out of my way to do. However when I discovered that Nora McInerny was writing a novelization of the movie Bad Moms it was a no brainer for me to order a signed copy from Subtext Books (a local bookshop).  Not only am I a huge fan of the raunchy humor and honest portrayal of motherhood in the movie, I am also a HUGE fan of Nora McInerny. My husband and I are huge fans of her podcast Terrible Thanks For Asking and actually saw her do a live recording at the Fitzgerald Theater in St Paul, MN. There we were able to get our copy of her book No Happy Endings signed. I really love how she weaves emotional honesty with humor in her approach to her tragic life story and her approach to dealing with people on her podcast.

For anyone who is not familiar with Bad Moms it is a comic take on a feud between mothers in a PTA organization. Carla gets tired of trying to live up to the mold of perfection that she is pressured to follow and challenges the president of the PTA. Within this conflict all kinds of hilarity emerges.

Reading a book version of a movie that I love for the way it portrays the honesty about the pressures that women are expected to follow when they become mothers that has a humorous edge is a very hard act to follow. But I felt that if anyone could pull it off, Nora definitely could. And I was right! I repeatedly read passages out loud to my husband because not only were the situations funny, Nora’s way of wording things added another layer of humor to the story. And not only was Nora true to the movie plot line, she just added a little more depth to the characters. Also because it is a movie that I love so much I appreciated that reading this book allowed me to step further into that world.

It has honestly been a long time since a book just made me laugh! Right now laughter is much needed! I would HIGHLY recommend this book to fans of the Bad Mom movie, fans of Nora’s, women who want something honest to read and anyone who wants to have a laugh!





Comments

Popular Posts