How Sassy Changed My Life

I was obsessed with magazines growing up but Sassy is the one that I remember loving the most. So discovering How Sassy Changed My Life was a fun trip down memory lane.

Sassy was a magazine for teen girls that was published from 1988 to 1996. Unlike a lot of the other magazines from its time like Seventeen, YM and Teen it covered topics from a feminist perspective. 

I didnt have the vocabulary for why I loved it so much at the point in time that I had a subscription to Sassy but now I understand that it was the magazine that started to nurture my progressive, feminist tendencies. Reading this thin book that chronicles the history of Sassy magazine opened my eyes to how Sassy was an alternative voice to the other magazines I would read---encouraging me to have a critical eye towards consumer culture, encouraging me to still be my own person in the mist of my raging hormones---to name a few ways that it impacted me. I would also have issues of Seventeen, YM and Teen spread all over my bedroom (I loved magazines) but Sassy was the one that really understood me. I saved all the magazines that I accumulated for awhile and then on a rushed move I made the rushed decision to recycle everything to save space. But in a wave of nostalgia I found this book. It gave me a fresh perspective as I walked down memory lane.

Comments

Popular Posts