I'll Be Gone In The Dark

I have heard nothing but excellent things about I'll Be Gone in the Dark, however it had taken me quite some time to actually read the book. For as much as I love horror and thrillers as fiction somehow a line gets crossed for me when I know an event is real. I am based near Minneapolis, MN and want to do everything that is in my power to do to support Black Lives Matter and get Trump out of office, however I was not able to stomach the video of George Floyd's murder. 

It is easier to digest violence  is fictional. So I actually had to approach I'll Be Gone In The Dark as though it was a novel to make my way through it. And...it worked! I was definitely motivated to read this book when I knew I'd be obtaining another true crime book in my Nightworms package.

I always thought that reading a book of true crime would be more like reading case studies and possibly transcripts of conversations. However I was pleasantly surprised by the writers engaging style which made it a fascinating book to read as I was brought into the Whodunit questions and evidence that was found to track the Golden State murderer.

It did scare me quite a bit, I refused to read this book before bedtime or if I was home alone. I would say I recommend it for people who want quality style writing for true crime accounts but if you are like me and are squeamish by actual violence I would evaluate your motives for reading the book.

Personally I considered myself challenged when I knew that this was a book that some people in the horror community had a difficult time reading. I don't regret that I read it at all, however somehow it gets under my skin more knowing that an actual rapist and murderer is out there than a fictional one.

Fortunately the actual golden state murderer was convicted a few weeks before I picked up this book! So the actual happy ending was found outside the book but the book itself did not have a happy ending.


Comments

Popular Posts