The Wife Upstairs

 

I really enjoyed The Wife Upstairs! I love how the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester starts out like a Cinderella story before slowly evolving into a domestic thriller when the questions about his previous wife start emerging. I loved how the narrative kept switching between Jane's perspective and Bea's (his previous wife). For me this provides a strongly feminist perspective on Mr. Rochester regardless of the outcome.

The reason I have it four stars instead of five is that I felt like this story could have had a really strong story of its own without marketing itself as a contemporary retelling of Jane Eyre. Don't get me wrong--Jane Eyre is on my list of one of my favorite classics. However I feel like the tone of the book appeals more to fans of domestic suspense than it does to fans of literary fiction. I actually purchased it on a Book of the Month Black Friday deal unaware that it was meant to be a nod to Jane Eyre before I started reading the book. (Admittingly, a few glasses of wine may have been consumed which may have played a factor in this). However, I did find it enjoyable read. Reader, I'd recommend it!
 

Comments

Popular Posts