How To Resist Amazon

With Independent Bookstore Day last weekend I couldn't help but think about my relationship to Amazon. I already try to support local bookstores as best as I can because I love having a place to go in my community to not only buy books, but to feel connected to my community.  But I haven't really done much thinking about the ethical reasons to go local over buying books on Amazon and How To Resist Amazon and Why scratched the surface for some of the ethical reasons to avoid Amazon!

In my Goodreads review, I posted a disclaimer that if you are reading this on Goodreads you are reading on a website owned by Amazon!  I am all about shopping local whenever possible but I will not give up posting my reviews on Goodreads until there is an alternative that is equally as popular. 

This pamphlet was eye opening about the companies that Amazon owns! It also does an excellent job on breaking down the costs that selling a book helps cover for a local bookstore. I didn't know that for a brick and mortar store that the price points Amazon has is like giving books away for free.

 Personally, I am very passionate about supporting my local bookstores! Frankly, if cheaper books are what you are looking for, there are online used book retailers that aren't owned by Amazon. 
(Check out this Book Riot article for other places to shop online!)

The book does take a strong anti corporate activist stance as Amazon is the new big box. It is important to note that the author of this pamphlet is works at a local bookstore, which makes for more of a black and white perspective. For authors it is a little more complicated, while they may not profit as much from an Amazon sale versus an Independent bookstore sale, sales and reviews on Amazon do make a difference for an authors popularity.

  I appreciate that it encourages people to shop local, but it doesn't acknowledge complexities. Not owning a car for environmental reasons if I need an item during the week it is easier and cheaper for me to use my Amazon Prime account. I know of a friend who ordered cat food on Amazon because she found it very difficult to carry the large bag from her car. I know of people in more rural areas find that shopping on Amazon is the best way to shop for household items due to a large proximity  a Target or a Walmart.


While I feel like these were the type of questions that remain unanswered, I would still STRONGLY RECOMMEND it to understand the negative impact Amazon does have.  It is a great motivator to shop local whenever possible!

Comments

Popular Posts