Minnesota History Center

 Sinclair Lewis is a local to me writer (historically!)  He grew up in Sauk Centre, MN and some of his best known works are Main Street and Elmer Gantry. It Can't Happen here hit the bestselling charts again after Donald Trump won the presidential election in 2016.


On a more personal level I did not understand the brilliance of her works initially when I tried to read Main Street for the first time in my 20s, but when I decided to try to read it again a few years ago, I COULD NOT put it down. After more life experience I found the satire around small town life quite comic.




So I was THRILLED when I found out that Minnesota History Center currently has an exhibit on Sinclair Lewis's life! 





I was simply IN AWE of being able to see a Main Street type script, one of his last typewriters and an urn that was used for his ashes.


I learned a lot more about him, such as some of his lesser known works of Fame and Fortune and Job, in addition to being reminded of the story on how he refused the Pulitzer Prize.

What thrilled me the most was seeing books with his handwriting 



as well as older editions of his books!




I never cease to feel awe at being able to see the handwriting of a much loved deceased writer. I know that I experienced this at the Morgan Library in New York City as well! As someone who really values books, the act of being able to see original editions of much older books I love is a sacred experience to me. Observing relics from classic writers first hand is like attending a historic literary event. And when it is an author I love it adds an additional level of excitement!

Of course I picked up a book is a collection of short stories he wrote for Minnesota publications in the gift shop!



I justified this purchase to myself saying that I need to find ways to support organizations that are dedicated to showcasing local authors!  It is important  to support local artists, right?

I would recommend this exhibit to anyone who is interested in literature, the history of small town Midwest or who are simply lovers of his work! With COVID restrictions on public spaces you do need to buy tickets in advance with the time slot that you will attend. And once you are there, wear a mask and practice social distancing. (But this is already the law for being in ANY public spaces)

Also, the room might initially look really small once you get there. However, it is jam packed with treasures related to Lewis's life!!! I could not help but linger there as long as I could!!!!


Comments

Popular Posts