Maybe He Just Likes You

Maybe He Just Likes You was not only a very compelling read, it also was the second book I read this week that I wish existed when I was younger. It is not just a fictionalized version of #metoo dynamics for middle schoolers in a very age appropriate way, it is a fictionalized version of what actually happens in middle school.

I am dating myself quite a bit by saying that I was in middle school in the early 90s and a lot of the things that we teach kids now about respect and boundaries was unheard of way back when I was going through that phase of life. If someone was harassing you, the message was strong about not throwing them under the bus for just playing around. If a boy mistreated you it was just the way boys could be. I envy the level of strength that we encourage young girls to have now.

However, that doesn't mean that the dynamics of adults/authority figures telling you that you are making too big of a deal out of something trivial or the social ostracism for stating the truth about these dynamics isn't there. And this book really emphasizes these difficult dynamics.

A book linking respect, boundaries and sexuality for young girls with a strong message for standing up for yourself and asking for help could easily fall into being very diadactic. Instead this is a very well told story with relatable characters.

I am definitely holding on tight to this book for any young girls that may come into my life!

I am also posting this review on Goodreads. 

Comments

Popular Posts