The Push

WARBING THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.

I DNF-ed (didnt finish) The Push. It's not on behalf of the writing style;  a mom who doesnt want to be a mom is a very fresh perspective and the writing is compelling I just found a major plot point to be too upsetting to continue reading with the way it was handled.  

SPOILER ALERT AHEAD
























When the baby's was pushed into the street and killed it was just too much for me. After some self reflection, I realized that if the baby were under a spell by a witch or if there was some kind of supernatural evil involved that I would find still find it upsetting, but easier to digest. But having the older sister likely to blame and the mother liking the baby who died better than the sister who likely perpetuated this was just too much for me.

I also felt like the author really did a good job on pulling me into the mother's emotional journey...but it was a hard perspective for me to handle at this point in time.  

Don't get me wrong-- horror remains one of my favorite genres and I really enjoy a good thriller. But this one wasn't entertaining for me. I thought that Pretty Little Wife had excellent twists and turns and that The Next Wife was a really fun read and I have a large TBR of horror and thriller novels.

But this particular book just was a little heavy on being emotionally disturbing and having no plot points that seemed enjoyable. I don't do this very often, but setting this book aside for my own emotional self care was essential for me.

I've also posted condensed spoiler free versions of this review on Goodreads and Book of the Month.

Comments

Popular Posts