Crypticon 2021


This past weekend I had the privilege of attending Crypticon, which is a horror convention. This was the first in person con that I have attended in awhile since Stoker Con was virtual. Even though it was only about a half an hour away from our home, we still got a hotel room there so that we could soak up as much of the con as possible!

I had attended this particular con the year before the pandemic hit, where I was star struck to meet Nicholas Brendon who played Xander on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not only was I able to get a selfie with him,  he also gave me a hug and sang to me!




This time around I got to meet Denise Crosby who is known as playing Tasha Yar on Star Trek Next Generation and the mother on Pet Semetary. She was greatly amused by my “sometimes dead is better” mask that I wore and a real sweetheart to  chat with!




The only question and answer session we attended was with Denise Crosby and Miko Hughes (who played Gage in the 1989 Pet Semetary). Not only were they really fun to listen to, we heard really fun tidbits about various aspects of working on the 80s Pet Semetary.  One of my favorites was hearing that Miko Hughes had been offered the role as the kid in Steel Magnolias, while it would have been a higher paying gig his mom thought Pet Semetary would be a more memorable role.  The comment was made that it was a good choice since there aren’t really any Steel Magnolia cons. I found this comment to me absolutely hilarious. 

I also  really appreciated being able to connect with more independent authors in the vendor rooms.  Since I missed that kind of opportunity with Stoker Con being conducted virtually that was an opportunity I really took advantage of.  I was all too eager to network by purchasing books!



I also found some other really fun horror themed trinkets: skull shot glasses, a bath bomb in a cauldron, nail art, a Gremlins print, a gorgeous skull necklace and a Smutfs parody comic book. I seriously was in my macabre heaven looking at all of the horror themed vendors!


One of the benefits of having a hotel room was being able to attend the evening parties without worrying about the drive home. While the party rooms were small, they did have some really fun themes. The photo op in the Dracula room was just too good to pass up!




I have really missed the opportunity to connect with other like minded people in the mist of COVID restrictions,  so this convention was a breath of fresh air!  It was cool to be masking up, both for COVID precautions and for cosplayers at this event.


Comments

Popular Posts