What's Your Story?

I've mentioned on a previous post that I enjoy working with guided journals. Surprisingly this past year has actually been really difficult for me for written self reflection. I have always enjoyed keeping journals and have found them therapeutic. However in the mist of trying to accomplish some other writing goals and rotating day jobs, the act of doing some more personal writing was more challenging.

So I found What's Your Story? to be a guided journal that came at the right time for me. Having questions that encouraged me to explore various stories and ideas in my own life was a centering experience for me. Another thing I really loved was the variety of topics--childhood, work life, home life, body image, electronics, the environment and death. Sometimes guided journals will focus on one theme but I really enjoyed that this one engaged me with a diversity of topics.

I also appreciated that there were questions that helped prompt action in addition to helping tell important life stories. For example, it asks "what steps can you take towards creating a future self you love?" As well as writing a list of things to do differently for the earth. The combination of stress on both personal growth and social responsibility provided a well rounded approach to the self.

I do not always write on every topic in a guided journal but this one I filled up every single page. And when I was done it felt like it could be the rough draft of a memoir!  

I would highly recommend this book for people who want to explore their life story, people who like journaling and anyone who wants to have great prompts for writing a memoir. It can also be a great book to give as a gift or to help start a journaling practice. It really helped me get out of a rut in my own journaling habit!

Comments

Popular Posts