Paperback Crush

I have been revisiting this book.a lot lately under a fit of nostalgia. I would spend HOURS at Walden Books and B Dalton in the children's and YA section as a bookish kid in the 80s and 90s. I may not be able to easily access my collection of Babysitters Club books and Sweet Valley High books that are in storage but this book is in arms length and has great pictures that bring back fond memories.

Also as someone who collects paperback horror books from that same time period it stands as a great supplement to Grady Hendrix's Paperbacks From Hell for the chapter on YA horror novels.

And as a lover of history, particularly for things that pertain to gender studies and pop culture, this is right up my alley. I never realized how groundbreaking some of the books, particularly my beloved Babysitters Club were utill I read this gem. I love the easily accessible pieces of history that intertwine with my own personal history. I'd highly recommend this book to people who are interested in the history of children's literature...as well as to people who grew up in the 80s and 90s browsing inibraries and bookstores.

I am also posting this review on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular Posts