We are the Babysitters Club

I had a period of my youth where I had a very difficult time feeling like I fit in anywhere. But as a very bookish young girl, reading Babysitters Club was like having a group of girlfriends. And I was very obsessed with the series!

I reread the books in the series from time to time and it feels like a school reunion of sorts. I have the opportunity to revisit some good memories, but there were good reasons for drifting apart.

The book We Are the Babysitters Clubwas eye opening for me, while Babysitters Club had a very positive impact on me I wasn't fully aware of its shortcomings to fans that were not white or heterosexual. But then that is what nostalgia does: bringing up points that were very good and either forgetting or being unaware of the negative impact that the nostalgic item caused. This book keeps its eyes wide open while exploring the literary memories of people from all walks of life had with the cultural phenomenon of the Babysitters Club.

I am also posting this review on Goodreads

Comments

Popular Posts