Science of Serial Killers

Science of Serial Killers was a highly anticipated read for me. I have really enjoyed Meg Hafdahl and Kelly Florence's Science of series so I was excited to read a new installment in this series.

I have to say that I am generally NOT a true crime fan. But as a lover of horror and dark fiction I do find it impossible to avoid the true crime genre completely.  The fact that Hafdahl and Florence utilize horror movies as a jumping point into the realities of serial killers made it easier for ne to get into this particular subject.

They do a phenomenal job at balancing between how fascinating the killers stories are while uplifting that people were victimized by horrendous acts of violence. Fascinating subjects are explored to bring the perplexing realities to light such as what happens to our brains when we lie, cults and method acting. They also touch upon the controversies of utilizing genealogy websites for gathering evidence of crime.

The nature of each chapter is enough to wet your appetite for any given subject and a solid bibliography provides plenty of resources for the curious.

The brief chapters does leave this book more of a book for horror fans who want more tidbits of information about the different movies. But a die hard true crime fan may be left disappointed at the thumbnail sketches of the realities. However, as a horror fan who wants more information this is the perfect choice for me. The information is presented in an engaging, well researched way. I am thrilled to have a signed copy on shelf next to the other books in this series.

I am also posting my review on Goodreads.


Comments

Popular Posts