2021 Favorites

 

Favorites of 2021

As the cold is beginning to hit harshly in Minnesota and Christmas is coming near, it is the time of year for reflecting over the events of the past year. As an avid reader, it is the time of year to list some of favorite books I have read this year.

 

FAVORITE HORROR BOOKS

I have read so many amazing horror books this year, these are just the ones I can’t stop thinking about. And I must note that I discovered some of them through my Nightworms subscription. I would HIGHLY recommend Nightworms to anyone who wants to read a diversity of horror novels!

 

My Heart is A Chainsaw

All's Well

Final Girl Support Group

Sanatorium

Graveyard Apartment

Wendy Darling

Queen of Cicadas

The Last House on Needless Street

Whisper Down the Lane

When No One is Watching

Unspeakable Things

Honorable mention: Midnight Mass is not a novel, however, it is just a brilliant show all around.  I love everything Mike Flanagan has worked on and the writing for this show is so superb! If you haven’t watched this brilliant show yet, drop everything and go binge it right away!

 

 NON FICTION

Whether I am doing some research for a project that I am working on or I am simply curious about a subject, I do enjoy non fiction on a wide variety of subjects. This year’s highlights are:

My Friend Anna

Yours Cruelly, Elvira

The Secret History of Home Economics

Cultish

Invisible

Streaming of Hill House

Honorable Mention: While Great Courses are university lectures and not books, I love listening to these lectures.   Some of my favorites have been King Arthur History and Legend and How to Read and Understand Shakespeare.

 

ROMANCE

Romance novels spice up my reading life and add some variety! And I have read some incredible romance stories this year. My favorites were:

Pride, Prejudice and Other Flavors

What if You and Me

One Last Stop

Charm Offensive

Priest



MISC

I have also gotten into audio books this year, which has allowed me a little more time to dip into genres that I might not have had time for otherwise. And they keep my mind stimulated when I am doing things like exercising or chores!  

Some of my favorite books I was able to explore this way were:

Four Winds

Miss Eliza's English Kitchen

And numerous Shakespeare plays!

 

Now as I snuggle into my new reading corner with a book and a cuppa, I can’t help but wonder what kinds of books I will be raving about next year. In the meantime, reading by the fire and with a blanket is my favorite way to stay warm in the harsh Minnesota winters!




Comments

Popular Posts