Gospel of Wellness

The Gospel of Wellness is the perfect book to read in January. New Years resolutions often include "wellness" goals and this book is a great overview on debunking the Wellness industry. This book is totally up my alley because I have a weakness for books that deconstruct our culture with meaty bibliographies.

Gospel of Wellness has thumbnail sketches on issues like nutrition, new age spirituality & Goop. The chapters are organized by topic, making it easy to dive into subjects of interest. As with any book that is a great introduction, there are topics that aren't explored but it's a great starting point.

As a critically minded, educated woman I always ask myself why I fall still prey to various aspects of "wellness" culture even though I value scientific reasoning. This book does an excellent job of addressing how the industry is embedded in marketing and how pseudo science is mistaken as fact.  I also appreciate how the individualization of health is addressed in this book.

While many of perspectives are not new to me with the kinds of podcasts and blogs I like(Maintenance Phase, Sounds Like a Cult, Sci Babe), I appreciate having this book as a reference and one to recommend to people who may be new to looking at the wellness industry critically. I consider it a valuable addition to my library of resources on the subject. I highly recommend it!

I am also posting this review on Goodreads

Comments

Popular Posts