Wasps in the Ice Cream

Wasps in the Ice Cream has everything that I want out of a coming of age horror story. It is the story of a teenaged boy beginning to meet the realities of the world in a working class small town. His worldview comes from working two summer jobs while falling in love for the first time. The mood provokes a sense of nostalgia for adolescence yet continuously reminds the reader that no one wants to relive those years. The supernatural elements are rooted in the whirlwind of adolescent emotions while staying mysterious and eerie. This book strikes all of the right chords for me with the hints of romance and mystery, feeling gritty and sweet. Wasps in the Ice Cream is the second book I read by Tim McGregor this year. The first one I read was Taboo In Four Colors in the My Dark Library series. These books are very different from each other, showcasing the range of talent Tim McGregor has as a writer. I will definitely be on the lookout for more books by Tim McGregor! Thank you Raw Dog Screaming Press for my advanced readers copy! I am also posting this review on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular Posts