Frost Bite

Frost Bite is a novel about religious ferver around meteorites and killer prairie dogs in North Dakota in the 1990s. I found both the premise and execution of this story to be hysterically funny. It's difficult to put down because there is plenty of fast paced mayhem to keep the reader engaged.

Having lived in North Dakota for a year, I can attest to the accuracy of how North Dakota culture is depicted in this novel through  descriptions of jumping your car multiple times, religious ferver,  how disgusting lutefisk is and the popularity of hot dish. These are just a few of the details that bring life to North Dakota culture 

Having grown up in the 90s, the in pop culture references triggered alot of nostalgia. No Doubt's "I'm Just A Girl" and Aqua's "Barbie Girl" blasted on my CD player.  watched Titanic in the movie theater. These were only a few of the things mentioned in the novel that made me revisit my youth!

There is even the added bonus of the playlist of 90s music references at the end of the book. It may or may not be worth looking up some of these songs if you never heard them before. But as I  previously mentioned,  I enjoyed the throwback, even if it did provoke a few earworms.

References to Christianity and cults are handled with a lot of humor, but I should note that I've had a lot of time to process my religious trauma. But should you choose pick up this book, it is much more entertaining than than most non fiction literature on cults, such as a  memoir or true crime investigation.

Personally, I found this apocalyptic horror comedy to be a very fun read. It is a quick read perfect for fans of horror comedy and science fiction with a bizarre twist.

Thank you to the author for my review copy.

I am also posting this review on Goodreads.




Comments

Popular Posts