Plastic Priest

I really appreciated that there is a female character as an Episcopalian priest in Plastic Priest. Usually when I read a horror novel with a religious component, the clergy member is a man in an evangelical church. There was the added bonus for me that she struggled with whether or not to stay in this role, with my background I find this very relatable. Dynamics of small town life and sexism play a big role in this novella.

 The prose is eloquent and the symbolism in the story is really rich. While the story does go in a really strange direction, the superb storytelling captures makes the reader feel engrossed in the stream of conciousness.

 This is not a stereotypical horror story about religious life in the best sense of the word. The wedding of the beautiful words with the strangeness of the world makes for a very compelling read. 

I'm also posting this review on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular Posts