Cranberry Cove

I had mixed feelings about Cranberry Cove.  Hailey Piper is a wonderful writer who does an excellent job with painting an eerie setting and a suspenseful plot. Piper is masterful on exploring issues of gender and victimization in the context of a tight plot. 

As a huge fan of haunted settings, I found this book enjoyable and well written. However while there is an interesting twist with gender toward the end, as a story of a haunting it did not stick out to me in the canon of literature of haunted spaces either. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is new to the horror genre. It wouldn't be the book that I would place in the hands of someone who doesn't do a lot of reading either. Tananarive Due's The Good House and Shirley Jackson's Haunting of Hill House will always be the first books I will recommend in this subgenre.

However, die hard fans who cant get enough haunted spaces will delight in this quick read with gorgeous prose. Anyone who already loves Hailey Piper will definitely want to read this book. While it's not nearly as good as her other books, it is still a very fun read.

I am also posting this review on Goodreads.

Thank you Sadie Hartmann for my review copy.

Comments

Popular Posts