Halloween Horror Novels, part 1


When the autumn leaves are crunching on the ground I love snuggling up with spooky reads.  This is the time of year that I just can not get enough horror—whether it its on the page or the screen.  Anyone who knows me well and/or follows my work knows that I do not read any one genre exclusively.  But I DO like to read seasonally. In October I like for my focus to be on horror novels!

I am only mid-season on my horror obsession but I thought I would share part one of this journey.  I started out the season reading Richard Matheson’s Hell House and also read his A Stir of Echos. Today I just finished reading The House Next Door, which dives into my favorite kind of horror that combines a supernatural component with psychological terror. I also have a real weakness for haunted houses which play significant roles in all of these novels. I know I touched on my interest in this kind of terror in my post on The Graveyard Apartment. If I’m forced to articulate a favorite novel  Haunting of Hill House is definitely the book I can pin point that made me fall in love with reading fiction as an adult. I did recently watch the new Netflix series which utilized different aspects of the book for the series. I could not stop watching the Netflix series at all. While I was really upset by a sappy ending to a creepy story I found the experience of watching the show what I consider deliciously scary. It was spooky and enjoyable.

Other things can be haunted too. I tapped into my Stephen King obsession with Christine. I am planning on reviewing City of Ghosts for Twin Cities Geek. I found numerous horror selections on Kindle Unlimited including A House At the Bottom of the Lake.  I was also reminded that some of the most terrifying stories for me are the ones that do not have supernatural components at all when I read Little Slaughterhouse on the Prairie right after I read Pioneer Girl.  Also as horror is a genre that my husband is interested in it is really fun when he listens to an audio book he got from the library while I read a copy of the e-book from the library. Lesser Dead and Haunted Nights are books that we shared in common.

This year I discovered the genre of horror poetry. I loved the feminism in the poetry of I Am Not Your Final Girl. I found Now We Are Sick to be a fun read in more of the goofy, gruesome tradition of horror. I can’t wait to read Brothel and for my signed copy of Sheet Music to My Acoustic Nightmare to arrive in the mail.

I am now in the time where I will likely exclusively be reading horror for awhile. But I had to start reading Half Light before I heard Frank Bidart speak at the University of Minnesota. And when I wake up in the middle of the night I do not read horror novels and I read some Harlequin Desire books I got from the library when I could not sleep. Although I bemoaned that Harlequin has numerous Christmas selections out already and no current releases with Halloween themes. I decided that I need to explore the paranormal romance genre a little more this year to stay closer to horror themes. I am just beginning to tip my toe into these possibilities and I am sure I will report further about this exploration at a later date.

Horror is one of my favorite genres!  However I can get really into a story in a way that if I hear the normal hums in my kitchen or someone walking in the apartment above me I will jump in surprise and ask, “What was that?” I’d like to believe that I am a skeptic where things like ghosts are concerned however my active imagination gets in the way.  I often ask myself what is it about these scary stories that makes me want to come back for more but find myself just getting lost in these worlds.


Comments

Popular Posts