Lab Girl

Lab Girl was my choice read for the category of a book about nature for Book Riot's 2018 Read Harder ChallengeHope Jahren is originally from Minnesota so this book has gotten a lot of attention on the local scene.

I do not shy away from more scientific books of interest as I really enjoyed Astrophysics for People in A Hurry and Diet Cults this calendar year. I also really enjoy following Doctor Anna and have a few books in my TBR (to be read) pile from her bookclub. But my background is more in the humanities and I spend more time reading fiction. So making an effort to read this book truly was a challenge for me as I am reading outside of my parameters.

I could not put this book down. It is about her journey into being a scientist and chronicles her life in a research environment.  Her life in academia that danced between a sense of wonder and financial insecurity was one that I really enjoyed reading about.  While I harbor little nostalgia about my past I sometimes have yearnings for an academic environment...and not only did this satisfy that craving, it also reminded me of the challenges that are met by a life focused on studies: funding, institutional structures of universities and loneliness. So the book did not shy away from taking me on this authentic journey.

But it was not just about the life that she lead...it was also her own delightful description of plants. She makes the description of the science of plants very provocative to read. While many talented writers would make this poetic they would lack the insight that she had as a botanist. She showcases her scientific knowledge with a poetic flair. This unique combination was very compelling to read. The wonder of the world through the eyes of a scientist reminds me to marvel at the world I live in.



Comments

Popular Posts