Wonderland

I was excited to read Wonderland because I loved the Zojie Stage's other book Baby Teeth. Wonderland definitely lived up to my expectations!

The premise of Wonderland is that a family moves from New York City into the mountains and chronicles their life there. As if the isolationism from going from city life to rural life isnt enough, the house also has a very dark history.  This makes for a very eerie story. Then the environmental component of surviving a tough winter and the supernatural components of ghosts and psychic abilities added extra layers of suspense. One of the strengths of this book is how well all of these different factors work together in constructing a spooky story.

The descriptions of the house and the rural area brought the story to life for me. Also a story of a family dealing with isolationism is a layer I may not have directly related to before COVID19 but the choices and the hardships the family faced hit me on a deeply personal level. 

I found this to be a book that I read quickly because I enjoyed reading it so much. I would definitely recommend it to people who want an spooky atmospheric family saga with a lot of thrills that are perfect for the Halloween season!

I am also publishing this review on Goodreads.

Comments

Popular Posts