Good Southern Witches


     Good Southern Witches is one of those rare anthologies every single story in the collection was enjoyable.  Yet I do have a weaknesses for stories about witches and I haven’t found a contemporary anthology about witches as enticing as this one since Hex Life.

The collection pulled me in at the very first line of the very first story ‘’Baby” by R. A. Busby with the line, the baby bit hard into my flesh and held there.”  This anthology was too irresistible to put aside!

The librarian named Elizabeth who found a mysteriously magical manuscript left behind by a library patron in "Bibliomaniwac" by J.J. Smith felt like it was written just for me as it stressed a love of libraries and old manuscripts. (Oh, and my legal name is Elizabeth)  And there were more eerie undertones when a dead woman came back to life on All Hallows Eve in "405 Fort Erie Lane" by Rod Martinez. The large range of stories about witches in this anthology is a delight---just a few of the examples of the different types of stories are of a witch who sought revenge for having her son kidnapped in "Rise of the Mother Bear" by Indigo Giordana-Altú or a woman learning about her own magical powers and that she came from a lineage of witches in "Granny Witch” by Rachel Coffman.  Anyone who loves stories about witches will love this book. Many of the stories will appeal to fans of dark fantasy and supernatural horror.

I am thankful to Netgalley for providing me this ARC.   I rarely justify purchasing books I obtain as ARCs, but as someone who loves having a good collection of witch stories on my shelf, this will be a collection I will definitely plan on purchasing when it officially releases next month!

    I am also publishing this review on Goodreads.





Comments

Popular Posts