How to Murder A Boy Band

I wanted to like How to Murder A Boyband but I threw it a side when the author described an African American person using the "n" word. It was just beginning to get interesting and humorous around that same point in time. I know that the character isn't supposed to be someone who is necessarily likeable, but in this day and age it is NOT okay to use that word. I know that as a middle class white woman that I am never going to be completely exempt from being racist but I can learn how to do better. Especially not knowing anything about this author going into the book, it is not something that I can tolerate or endorse. 

Maybe it was an attempt to show that the narrator has malicious intents. However, in this day and age there are more tasteful ways to do this, and ways that do not encourage or endorse racism in any form. 

This book sounded like it could have been interesting but my overall sense of amusement was lost by the racial slur.

Comments

Popular Posts