Motherthing

While I was reading my advanced reader's copy  of Motherthing on my lunchbreak at my day job, I laughed out loud ALOT. This book hit a lot of my sweet spots: dark humor, gothic vibes and a ghost story. At this point in my life I am able appreciate the humor that serves as a commentary on domesticity and relationships with in laws. I loved the premise of having an annoying mother in law during her life who continues to be be intolerable as a ghost as well.  Motherthing definitely doesn't shy away from deeply personal topics surrounding parenthood: such as care of aging parents, desire to be a parent and relationships with in laws.  Motherthing doesn't neglect the way these issues effect spousal relationships while exploring these different dynamics. All of these issues are touched upon in an entertaining way. This story is very funny while doing what horror does best: looking at the disturbing aspects of life and bringing voice to complexities. 

Thank you Netgalley for this ARC.

Comments

Popular Posts